WE ARE LOOKING FOR AN OPERATIONS MANAGER...
We are seeking a dynamic team leader to help take Strode Theatre to the next stage of its life, with particular emphasis on Front of House (FOH) systems and scheduling. Incorporating parts of the former Theatre Manager and Operations Manager roles, this will be a demanding role and require great attention to detail, leading a team of 20+ FOH staff and 50+ volunteers. It is an ideal developmental position for a driven person who derives satisfaction from leading to deliver a high-quality product, working as part of a supportive team. You might not come from a theatre background, but you might have the right drive and skills to fulfil the role successfully –if you think you have, then we would love to hear from you!
Strode Theatre is part of Strode College in Street, near Glastonbury, in Somerset; and incorporates two venues, bar-café and exhibition area. The main Theatre has 343-seats and a purpose-built proscenium arch stage. The Studio has 64 seats and is used for screenings, black-box performances, classes and rehearsals. Donated to the community in 1963 by the Clarks Foundation, Strode Theatre has been at the heart of the community and will be celebrating its 60th anniversary next year with some exciting plans, as we look forward to recovering after the impact of Covid. Until 2020, we welcomed 55,000+ visitors every year, drawing audiences from throughout Somerset and beyond, to over 450 film and live broadcast screenings (with one of the most diverse independent and international film programmes in the southwest), over 150 live professional, amateur and college shows/events; and regularly changing exhibitions. Our first full ‘post-Covid’ Spring programme goes on-line on the 19th February.
This role is advertised as a six-month fixed term contract, pending stabilisation of the Covid situation, with a view to the role becoming permanent at the end of the six-month period. You will be enrolled onto a generous pension scheme (19% employer contribution). If you would like to discuss the role ahead of making an application, feel free to contact the Theatre Manager, Farès K Moussa by emailing: email@example.com
FULL JOB DESCRIPTION:
Responsible to: The Theatre Manager (or equivalent).
Responsible for: Contract and casual Café-Bar staff, Box Office staff and Duty Managers; Theatre Administration & Operations Assistant; Volunteer Ushers.
Job Purpose: To ensure the effective and efficient running of the day-to-day commercial and Front of House operations.
Strode College are recruiting for a Operations manager at our Wonderful Strode Theatre!
KEY TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES FOR THIS EXCITING ROLE:
- Be responsible for the proper day-to-day management and presentation of Front of House areas and Front of House team
- Line Manage the Theatre Administration & Operations Assistant; the Duty Managers and bar and Box Office staff
- Schedule rotas for Front of House staff (Bar, Box Office & Duty Managers) and Volunteers
- Oversee the daily smooth operation of the Theatre Café-Bar for daytime and evening service, within the requirements of the Premises Licence
- Maintain the bar list, keep abreast of available offers from suppliers and breweries, and review and update the bar offering on an ongoing basis
- Over-view of the rotation, stock-check, product ordering and replenishment of the café-bar
- Maintain and manage the café-bar EPOS system, and generate reports for sales and shrinkage analysis and out-turn projections
- Oversee the proper function and use of the Box Office system (Spektrix) and operations during Box Office opening hours
- Be responsible for on-sale of new and updated programme and any other related activity to secure full staffing requirements
- Line Manage the Marketing and Communications Officer and co-ordinate with them the marketing and schedule and activities, as agreed with the Theatre Manager (or equivalent)
- Prepare and supervise the provision of rotas for Duty Managers, Box Office staff, café-bar staff and volunteers
- Manage and supervise the mounting and de-mounting of exhibitions and preparation of catalogues in liaison with artists
- Overview theatre maintenance and cleaning jobs and schedules in FOH areas, in liaison with Strode College Facilities Manager, relevant contractors and house-keeping team
- Ensure that essential film/event data, production schedules and riders are supplied to relevant technical, bar and box office teams for appropriate action
- Ensure H&S compliance and up-to-date fire evacuation and containment procedures in Front of House areas
- Ensure the ongoing high quality presentation of the events, Front of House areas and customer care –occasionally taking-on Duty Manager shifts for important events and quality control
- Assist in setting up and running off-site bar operations, if/when required
- In liaison with the Theatre Manager (or equivalent), provide capacity with the team for assisting with gathering film and show assets and uploading on Spektrix
- Be a key holder, able to lock and unlock the theatre building
- Undertake other duties appropriate to the level of the post
- Comply with the College’s policies and procedures including Environmental, Health and Safety Legislation, Safeguarding Children and Vulnerable Adults and those covering all aspects of Equality and Diversity
- To comply with the requirements of the General Data Protection Regulation (EU) 2016/679 (“GDPR”). It is the responsibility of individual staff members to protect data and to take all reasonable steps to ensure data are kept securely.
Candidates should be able to demonstrate the following:
- Minimum A-Level or equivalent level 3 qualification;
- Degree or equivalent;
- Minimum two years’ experience of close supervision/management of a Box Office and/or Café-Bar/restaurant operation, preferably in a commercial and/or an arts, theatre, museum or heritage environment;
- Experience of setting-up and/or running a Box Office or similar data sales and management system, such as Spektrix, or similar;
- Experience of setting-up and/or running an EPOS system;
- Experience of supervising teams of staff;
- Interest in and/or experience of the implementation and maintenance of operational systems.
- Intermediate or advanced proficiency in using Outlook, Word and Excel.
- Holder of Personal Licence;
- Experience of operating and/or running a scheduling system;
- Experience of scheduling staff and/or volunteer rotas;
- Experience dealing with breweries and/or food and drinks suppliers;
- Knowledge, understanding and/or experience of arts/theatre/cinema operations;
- First Aid trained.
- Ability to manage and motivate small teams;
- Very strong computer competency with a good understanding of commercial point of sale systems, and an ability and willingness to quickly learn and implement new cloud-based computer systems, as required;
- Ability to resolve problems in a calm and professional manner;
- Willingness to work occasional unsocial hours including evenings and weekends;
- High standards of workplace safety, order, cleanliness and workflow systems;
- Attention to detail;
- Ability to manage constant and often conflicting demands;
- Interest in and awareness of strong customer service methods and understanding of and sensitivity to community relations in a rural context;
- Sensitivity and awareness of the needs of an educational setting and of safeguarding.
Terms and Conditions
- The appointment will commence as soon as possible
- The appointment is to work for 37 hours per week and is fixed term for 6 months from date of appointment
- Salary is £26,164 per annum. It is a condition of appointment that salary is paid directly into a bank or building society
- The successful applicant will be required to apply for an enhanced disclosure from the Disclosure and Barring Service. Further information about the Disclosure scheme can be found at www.disclosure.gov.uk or by contacting the information line on 0870 90 90 811
- The post is subject to a probationary period of six months during which time two reports will be carried out. We view probation as a supportive time but if performance is not satisfactory it could lead to termination of the contract. During the probation period 4 mandatory training units must be undertaken. The training sessions are Safeguarding Children, Prevent, Health and Safety, Equality Diversity & Inclusion
- Holiday entitlement is 27 days per annum
- The post holder will be automatically brought into the Local Government Pension Scheme. Contributions are 5.8% of Salary
- Sick leave will be in accordance with the procedures laid down by the Strode College Board of Governors.
As an equal opportunities employer, Strode College particularly welcomes applications from those who are disabled or members of ethnic minorities since these groups are at present under-represented on the Strode staff.
Completed application forms should be returned to Carol Corbett, HR Officer, Strode College, firstname.lastname@example.org by 9.00am Friday 11th March 2022.
Job description PDF HERE
Applications forms HERE