What's on at Strode Theatre
Metropolitan Opera 2017-18 Season TOSCA (Met Opera) Sunday 28 January 5:30PM
- By: Giacomo Puccini
- Conductor: Emmanuel Villaume
- Director: Sir David McVicar
- Runtime: tbc.
- Screening: AS LIVE (recorded from live transmission the previous day)
- Starring: Kristine Opolais, Vittorio Grigolo, Bryn Terfel
- Tickets: £15.00 Full concessions £13.00
- Venue: STUDIO
Puccini’s thrilling Tosca is a story of love, terror, the abuse of power, and the unquenchable longing for freedom. When an escaped political prisoner takes refuge in a church, an opera singer and a painter are drawn into a twisting plot that puts them at the mercy of the secret police and its network of torturers and spies. Rivalling the splendour of Franco Zeffirelli’s Napoleonic-era sets and costumes, Sir David McVicar’s ravishing new production offers a splendid backdrop for extraordinary singing. Kristine Opolais stars as the titular prima donna, alongside Vittorio Grigolo as her artist lover and Bryn Terfel as the villainous police chief—one of his signature roles.