- Micro-commission – £150
- Eligibility – Somerset-based theatre makers
- Expression of interest – by Mon 27 Apr
- Video submission – by Fri 8 May
- Event – From 8pm, Sat 16 May
SOFAVISION is a response to the tragic gap in this year’s song contest schedule and the unfilled need of artists to perform and audiences to be entertained. Strode Theatre, Tor Theatre and Viv Gordon Company would like to hear from artists with a bit of time on their hands. We are looking for anarchic, homespun, joyful, silly, defiant and high-quality ideas to commission for 2020’s SOFAVISION song contest.
This micro-commission is open to Somerset-based theatre makers who can create:
- A 90-120 second video filmed in one shot (unedited);
- of an original piece in the vein of Eurovision (song, dance, costume, set);
- giving the illusion of live performance;
- using whatever is to hand at home;
- and adhering to current restrictions and social distancing measures
N.B. as per official song-contest regulations, we are unable to accept submission from groups exceeding 7 performers – apologies for the inconvenience.
We are not looking for
- A music video
- High-end filming / editing (a smartphone camera is fine)
- Professional set, costume, design, sound
To respond to this call let us know:
- What made up country you would represent
- The title of your original song
- Why you are interested in this call out
- How you would bring peace and harmony to all nations
And send to firstname.lastname@example.org by noon on Mon 27 April with
- Your name / Company name (where applicable)
If you have barriers to making a written application, please contact us. We will assess applications as they come in so please get yours in right away.
SOFAVISION 2020 will be a familiar-format song contest streamed on Facebook and Youtube from 8pm on Saturday 16 May, the date of 2020’s cancelled Eurovision contest.
Commissioned pieces will be pre-recorded and played in sequence, with live hosting by BAKED ALASKA (pictured). We’d love to feature commissioned artists in social media posts in the run up to the event and there is an expectation that they will be available (at home) on the night of the event.
Audiences will vote for their favourite act, with a winner announced live at the end of the stream.
Isolated sofa surfers of the world: listen up!
Don’t let the lockdown be your Waterloo…
Don’t settle for Ooh Ahh Just A Little Bit!
Because it’s time to dress up, drink up and start Making Your Mind Up for…
From 8pm on Saturday the 16th of May you can still have all the mad euphoria of Europe’s foremost song competition beamed directly to your living room – with a local twist!
Strode Theatre, Tor Theatre and Viv Gordon Company have scoured the whole of Somerset to bring you the finest performing artistes to entertain you while fighting tooth, nail and sparkly jock-strap to avoid nil points and win the coveted title of SofaVision Champions 2020!
Hosted via the magic of the internet by 80s European Synthpop Legends BAKED ALASKA (I know!), all the event will need is YOU! The audience! To post, to comment and most of all to VOTE!
It’s going to be loud, it’s going to be proud, and it’s going to be as upfront and personal as social distancing will allow.< Back